Do you know, that according to scientific research, a brain of a single human can store from 1 to 7 million megabytes of data if to compare it with a computer memory? Probably, many have heard about this, but not everyone can say that he or she has such a phenomenal memory. Hqessays.com writers investigated the topic deeper.
It would be so cool to read any studying material and to be able to remember every single word of it! It is great to remember all names, faces, and birthday dates! It is wonderful to find the info answering any question by just digging deeper into one’s brain!
Many people just dream about that, but there exist those who really can make it. Getting such results is real, you only need to know how to do that.
A good memory can be rightfully called a valuable instrument for a student and for any human of any age. But mostly, people start paying attention to it only if they urgently need to remind themselves something, or when their everyday life starts suffering from their own distraction and forgetfulness. Taking into account the fact about any training to become more and more difficult with a person becoming elder, you need to start going in for those exercises right away. Additionally, stimulation of your brain activity will become another result inflicting your ability to live a full life.
If you are interested in finding ways to remember things better, this article can show you some of them. Here below you can find some simple and quite interesting methods of memory training. But it will be useful to mention existing memory kinds before.
Psychologists distinguish some different kinds of memory:
- Visual memory: allows remembering information through organs of vision. People who have this kind of memory developed better can remember things more effectively if they read or see them;
- Listening memory: allows remembering things through ears. If this type of memory is developed, a person can easily remind about something they heard about. They often speak the data aloud in order to remember it better;
- Touching (kinesthetic) memory: it is about remembering the info through physical feelings. For this memory kind, it is easier to remember things a person can touch;
- Mixed memory type: a case when a person does not have any dominant type (usually there is one type developed better than other ones), and remembers info equally through visual, listening and touching memory.
The fact about long-term and short-term memory existence is better to be mentioned here as well:
- Short-term memory is a result of your reaction to the events in the surrounding world, which is stored in your mind for nearly three months. Thanks to this memory, a person filters unnecessary information;
- Long-term memory is a kind of a memory saving the information during a long period of time: as a rule, during the whole life of a person. Info, contained in this memory, can be played back unlimited amount of times. This memory helps you to remind yourself about knowledge in certain situations and to use that knowledge in regular life.
The prevailing memory type for every person depends on individual features. In most cases, this element is congenital and unchangeable throughout a person’s life. That is why you need to know your memory type. If to develop it and other types, you can learn how to remember more things better. But further we shall speak about general memory training methods, which can be used without paying serious attention to your memory type.
Ways to Train Your Memory: Prepare for Exams
There can be found many ways to train your memory, but the main point for each of them is based on placing the info you perceive into a long-term memory zone. The most popular methods can be categorized this way:
- A method of connection between attention and impression. The point is that people are able to remember interesting data much better. In order to remember things, you need just to learn how to concentrate on what interests you the most in order to receive the emotional impulse in return.
- A method of associations. In this method, associations are used to find parallels between the data which is available and that you need to remember. If to remember things associatively, you can keep much knowledge in your head. The feature is that, you need to find fitting, bright and unusual associations which are simple and understandable at the same time, and they will help you remember the data and use it later.
- A method of structuring. This is a perfect way when you need to remember anything directly. To implement this method you need to divide the info into separate topical blocks with your logic and associations. The main rule is to create a logical and comfortable structure of data. To do that, you can use ways like:
- Mental maps (known under the name of associative maps, diagram of connections and mind-mapping: special block-schemes displaying the info in different blocks are used for structuring it.
- Roman room (Cicerone chain): objects which are to be remembered are placed in a room you know well (in your mind), and in order to remind yourself about something you only need to find “needed things”.
- A method of repeating: it is a method known for every student, and it seems to be the most simple and easy one. Let’s just refresh it: in order for the information to be consumed and to stay in your memory, you need to get back to knowledge you want to remember periodically. The nuance is, the fresher is the info, the more often you should come back to it, but further you only have to do that rarely.
- Mnemonic techniques: are based on using several methods of remembering for a certain type of info. Data is joined into a certain sense group, for instance, “foreign words”, “numbers”, or “names”. Then you remember it by associations, your own encryptions, similar sounds, etc.
These are the most widespread methods of remembering and memory training. There is nothing complicated in them, and the only thing you are going to need in order to master them is your will.
Believe these words: even if you concentrate on a single method and find time to exercise daily, you’ll wonder how better your memory would become in a few weeks.
Here are some cool recommendations that will let you improve your memory without using special techniques.
Recommendations on Memory Improvement
To compete these exercises you don’t have to find any special time: just go in for usual activities and train at the same time.
- Read at least a few pages every day, and try to remember the most interesting facts;
- If you have read a book, do not forget about it. Retell the main point to your friends or family members from time to time. You can train your memory and motivate others to read good books simultaneously;
- If you have time, learn foreign language words, proverbs and stable phrases every day. You can even learn lyrics of any songs, just find out about their translation beforehand.
- Remember phone numbers, car registration numbers of your friends, and their birthdays;
- When you go to the store, write a shopping list but try not to use it: you better check if everything is okay once you think you’ve got everything you need.
- Before falling asleep, try to recall all the details of the past day;
- When you have a free minute, write down a title of your favorite movie, point out all characters and actors who play them, and then check how many mistakes you had made;
- When cooking, remember receipts in details in order to cook great meals just from your memory;
- Walk more often, and develop your visual memory by paying attention to buildings, billboards, cars and features of your routes;
- Do regular things (wash teeth, write, make hair) with different hands;
- When having a conversation, listen to your collocutor attentively and try remembering everything he or she says;
And finally, a short notice: you should not overload your brain with “tons” of information at once. Give it some time for rest and refreshing. Additionally, do not remember everything in a row. Otherwise, you’ll feel it difficult to find needed info in the sea of junk. Eat healthy food, and breathe fresh air more often.
Knowing everything is not that difficult, is it?